Thursday, August 06, 2009



THE "TOP TEN"


For what it's worth (and that's not much!) my own "Top Ten" list of novels would be as follows. Naturally, I only include books I've personally read. The list might change as blanks in my reading are filled in. For example, I hope shortly to get started on "The Brothers Karamazov". There is a little voice in the back of my mind which suggests that perhaps dreamweaver55 is right about Madam Bovary being overrated. However, I'm going to stick with it at number three as it IS a wonderful example of the realist novel, and predates Tolstoy's great novels.

1. War and Peace
2. Anna Karenina
3. Madam Bovary
4. Crime and Punishment
5. Ulysses
6. Wuthering Heights
7. The Great Gatsby
8. David Copperfield
9. Bleak House
10. A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Loved the movie!

1:18 AM  
Blogger John Wallen said...

I only feel reasonably sure about the top 5. After that, there are just so many great novels out there.

1:27 AM  
Blogger Sameer said...

I think 'A tale of two cities' should not be excluded....

7:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home