Monday, April 15, 2019


CLIMBING TO TAKTSANG
                                                                                                                                                                                   Some of the things she says,
They stay with me.

When we were together in Bhutan
I remember her breezing up to the top
Of Taktsang: the Tiger’s nest,
In spite of hidden tumour.

She laughed when I told her I’d thought the Korean nuns
Were men.

I labored to the top too, my years and body fat, grave impediments;
Like the weight of karma.
She could have walked and didn’t need
The horse, but took it for my sake.
********
Some of the things she did, they stay with me.
Her laugh.
Her smile.
Her sense of wonder in the caves of Nepal.
Her attentive devotion
To Guru Rinpoche.

In Kopan, she said out loud
That to be a nun
Would be a beautiful thing.
Yet sad for some, I thought.

I made her angry in Bhaktapur
And in Paro
She took money from the ATM
Thinking I might leave her like a stone
To sink.

I wouldn’t do that.

In Bodhanath we were blessed
By Tibetan wise men
And by Therevada monks
In Koh Samui.

Our dharma is surely intertwined?
But where will the string of karma lead
Save to more suffering?

Better to suffer with her
Than without?

*********
I loved you in the Himalayan caves;
I loved you in the mountains of Lampang.
I loved you as the Guru’s healing waves
Of love consumed us climbing to Taktsang.


I love you as an emanation of
Yoginis from the Dharmakaya field.
A Yeshe Tsogyal filled with burning love
Transporting Gurus to the battle field.

I loved you in the Koh Samui sun,
I loved you on the sweet Gangetic plains.
I love to see you smile and having fun
I love to feel you ease life’s secret pains.

I loved you through the rains of Kathmandu,
I loved you as a thousand mantras sang
Around the jagged clifftops, as we drew
Closer to the temples of Taktsang.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home